How to Become a Software Architect: Interview with Java Brains Founder
I was recently interviewed by Koushik Kothagal, founder of the popular Java Brains developer training portal, for his podcast show The Artifact. Koushik and I had a lively discussion about what it really takes to become a software architect—and specifically how software engineers who are ready for the next step in their careers can make the leap from developer to architect.
Our conversation was inspired by my popular LinkedIn learning course Software Architecture: From Developer to Architect. As someone who has been a software architect for over 20 years, I had a lot of hard-earned, real-world advice to share with Koushik in our nearly hour-long discussion.
Some of the big questions we cover in our talk include:
- What is a good next step for an experienced software engineer?
- How do you choose between a managerial role and a software architect role?
- If someone wants to become a software architect, how do they get started?
If you’ve been wondering about some of these same questions, or have just been curious about what exactly a software architect does in their day-to-day job, check out our full discussion below:
Listen to Modern Digital Applications
If you’d like to listen to additional podcasts, be sure to check out the latest episode of my own podcast show, Modern Digital Applications, right here on my website.
More articles from Lee Atchison:
- 8 Things You Don’t Know About Architecting Your Business Infrastructure for Scale
- 2022 Is the Year of the Citizen Developer
- Dive into ‘Architecting for Scale’ in the Latest GOTO Book Club Podcast